Thursday, September 15, 2011

enye




i officially became a piña a while ago 
but i was sad to find out 
that most places dont support the "ñ"
social security, drivers licence, school records 
they just do the base letter and no tilde
and it is sad to me 
because i like finally having something interesting 
and the tilde is the best part 
and makes piña interesting and unique!

and a lot of people dont know
how to pronounce 'piña'
case and point: my mom
and she always corrects everyone else
and calls us 'pena'
frustrating.

it is also funny because 
for some reason ever since
i changed my name i have had an influx 
of people asking me if i am latino

just with the change of my last name
and i guess i could kinda fake it?
im not that dark

my spanish teacher asked
if i was latino even

and the other day the guy
from the multicultural office
at byu came into my office
and saw my name tag with 'piña'
he then went on asking me if
i was latino
and even after i said no 
he asked my if i was sure 
like 'are you sure youre not latino?"
haha yes. i am rather sure

but the funniest thing is 
bobby is not latino looking at all 
so it comes across very strange
and people dont typically believe me
or under stand

but i am trying to learn spanish 
so maybe i will look more latino if i become fluent 
and then i can play the part

and tonight i met two new spanish partners 
to practice with and get better at spanish
i am so excited
they are both from mexico 
and they just seem like such cool kids
i really love the hispanic culture 
and i am excited to get to know Betzi and Carlos
and help them better their english
(they both already speak really good english
so they just need pointers)

when i got home from the meet and greet
i coudlnt talk in english to my mom
i kept wanting to say everything in spanish
so thats good right?

and my spanish class has got my in the 
weird bad habit of calling all
my teachers 'profe'

so i am slowly learning!
just very very slowly 

No comments:

Post a Comment

tell me what youre thinking...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...